ADSM-L

Re: ADSM NT Client v3.0 crashing

1998-03-26 05:02:10
Subject: Re: ADSM NT Client v3.0 crashing
From: Rui Malheiro <rmalheiro AT MAIL.TELEPAC DOT PT>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 1998 10:02:10 GMT
Replying to: Elisabeth Karl <e-karl AT UCHICAGO DOT EDU> (Tue, 24 Mar 1998
14:02:22
-0600)
Hi,
Hi,

>I have a Compaq Deskpro 5100 XL with 32M RAM running WinNT 4.0.  I have
>installed the ADSM NT client repeatedly, but it crashes almost every time I
>try to run the backup client.  Sometimes I get a standard blue screen,
>sometimes I get a blue screen announcing a hardware error.  I have
>completely reinstalled NT and run the hardware diagnostics routines and
>nothing helps.  There is no consistant element in the crashes, sometimes it
>happens after 200 files, sometimes after 500, 1500, there are no rules.  I
>checked with the server manager and he fixed a space problem that announced
>itself in the middle of this, but all he sees is my client terminating the
>backup session.  To my knowledge no other machine in our department is
>having this problem.

The only time I've had an NT client crash (it was not a blue screen, just
Dr. Watson) it had something to do with use of national characters *and*
USEUNICODEFILENAMES. It always crashed on a file path containing a non ASCII
caracter. The problem went away as soon as I set the USEUNICODEFILENAME to
NO. I only found this situantion on one machine and it was a Compaq running
NT 4.0 and ADSM V3 client.

--
Rui Malheiro,
Rui Malheiro,