ADSM-L

Re: Trashed/Deleted log file

1998-03-25 17:30:43
Subject: Re: Trashed/Deleted log file
From: Tony White <tony.white AT GTRI.GATECH DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 1998 17:30:43 -0500
I haven't done this yet, but according to the ADSM Administrator's Guide, it looks like you could just:

dsmserv format 1 <log_file> <#_of_database_files> <database_file>

This works OK only because you haven't actually started using ADSM yet. It erases everything in the database and log files and puts all the defaults back in there, I think. But be sure to then log in from the ADSM console and redefine the ADSM administrator and grant the system authority again...

I was planning to do this before I actually start running ADSM, because I expect to use database and log volumes much bigger than the default, and I don't want to "extend" the tiny default volumes across multiple files. I'll just delete the default db and log files and remake them in the large initial sizes I want, then do the above command.

Caution: I don't have experience yet, just have read the manuals... wait to see if someone else can confirm...

Tony
===============================
At 03:20 PM 3/25/98 -0600, you wrote:
>Does anyone know how to recover from a Deleted log file. I have not
>started using ADSM v3.1 yet, so the DB is empty. But after I start it up
>with a newly DMSFMTed log file, I get:
>ANR7800I DSMSERV generated at 20:54:15 on Jan 26 1998.
>ADSTAR Distributed Storage Manager for AIX-RS/6000
>Version 3, Release 1, Level 0.2
>Licensed Materials - Property of IBM
>5765-C43 (C) Copyright IBM Corporation 1990, 1997. All rights reserved.
>U.S. Government Users Restricted Rights - Use, duplication or disclosure
>restricted by GSA ADP Schedule Contract with IBM Corporation.
>* SPECIAL FIX TEST SERVER (IX74458) *
>* LEVEL 1 PLUS CORRECTED RECLAMATION FUNCTION *
>ANR0900I Processing options file dsmserv.opt.
>ANR0990I ADSM server restart-recovery in progress.
>ANR0259E Unable to read complete restart/checkpoint information from any
>ANR0259E database or recovery log volume.
>Any ideas other than re-installing?
>Frank M. Ramaekers Jr. Austin Community College Voice: (512)223-7619
>Systems Programmer 5930 Middle Fiskville Rd. Fax: (512)483-7664
>Information Services Austin, Texas 78752-4390

---------------------------------- Tony White, Research Scientist II Tony.White AT gtri.gatech DOT edu Tony White, Research Scientist II Tony.White AT gtri.gatech DOT edu
GTRI Computer Coordinator (404) 894-8157 fax: 894-9337
GT/GTRI/AIST, Atlanta, GA 30332-0816

"Optimist: a Yugo owner with a trailer hitch."