ADSM-L

Re: ADSM Recovery log filling up

1998-03-24 17:39:53
Subject: Re: ADSM Recovery log filling up
From: Roger Deschner <U52983 AT UICVM.UIC DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 1998 16:39:53 CST
I have just experienced this too, on VM 2.5.1.13. I was awfully nervous
about losing the whole thing when I restarted, so I did this:

1) I added some more disk space to the Recovery Log, so that it was no
longer 100% full. (DEFINE LOGVOL, EXTEND LOG...)

2) I did another incremental backup. (On top of the DOZENS of triggered
incrementals, and one TRIGGERED FULL BACKUP (!) which had been going on
for the past several hours, and which had failed to clear the log.)
(And why didn't our operators call me when that Triggered Full Backup
happened? Instead they obediently mounted all those tapes - did a nice,
quick job of it too.)

3) I immediatly shut it down and restarted it, figuring that if I lost
it, I was at least well backed up. It restarted completely normally, with
a cleared log. Problem over.

I think the key was to add a bit of disk space to it before shutting it
down, so that it was operating more or less normally, instead of in
log-full-limping mode.

I did report this to IBM, but they closed the PMR when my server came
back completely normally. We have a bug here. SOMEBODY should APAR it,
even if we can't reliably reproduce it.

I still believe that rollforward mode is best, by the way.

Aliases:                  u52983 AT uicvm.uic DOT edu        R.Deschner AT uic
DOT edu
====If reproducibility may be a problem, conduct the test only once.====