ADSM-L

Re: List of questions

1998-03-24 15:55:07
Subject: Re: List of questions
From: Keenan D Stratton <stratkee AT GTI DOT NET>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 1998 15:55:07 -0500
On Tuesday, March 24, 1998 2:59 PM, Robert Weisbloom/carmel graphics
[SMTP:carmelg1 AT SMTP.ON.ROGERS.WAVE DOT CA] wrote:
| Dear fellow ADSM ers:
| Please bear with me as I pose the following questions. Being new to ADSM
| and learning as I go along questions arise at every turn. Well here goes:
|
| 1) how do you automate migration( ie not scheduled migration) ?
        You set thresholds on your storage pools.
| 2) How does NTFS overhead affect the performance Vs FAT ?
        I have not seen much of a difference.  Difficult to measure.
| 3) Moving database file from NTFS to Fat & then back, does this affect
ADSM
| server performance i.e. back up to a win 95 server and have to restore NT
| server ?
        No. This is true across OS's that support each others files.
| 4) What is the overhead associated with each additional client hitting
ADSM
| server resources ?
        Depends.  If client is restoring data and data is located on tape, a
tape
mount is required.  If a client is      backing up, not much impact other than
multiple sessions going at the same time.  I see 5-10   concurrent sessions
at a time.
| 5) Is it possible to backup multiple clients at the same time ?
        Yes.  Depends on ADSM Server, resources, etc...
| 6) Does ADSM database support ODBC, JBDC and SQL, is the only way to
access
| this data through API ?
        ADSM Server v3 supports SQL.
| 7) Is it possible to use multiple NIC cards with different IP address in
| the same server and if possible how will this affect performance if
| multiple clients are backing up at the same time?
        Yes.  Increases bandwidth and is advisable for balancing capacity.