ADSM-L

Re: ADSM Compression questions

1998-03-24 14:54:57
Subject: Re: ADSM Compression questions
From: Steven P Roder <tkssteve AT ACSU.BUFFALO DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 1998 14:54:57 -0500
On Tue, 24 Mar 1998, John W. Stephens wrote:
> I am concerned that I am not getting the compression DLT 7000 media should
> give. I am not running any client compression, hoping to really verify how
> good
> or bad the hardware will compress. Does anyone have any ideas on how to
> accurately measure this or has anyone experienced this same scene.
>
> Volume Name               Storage      Device      Estimated    Pct   Volume
>                           Pool Name    Class Name   Capacity   Util   Status
>                                                         (MB)
> ------------------------  -----------  ----------  ---------  -----  --------
> DMM558                    NOTES_TAPE   DLT7000      30,180.7   98.4    Full
> DMM567                    NOTES_TAPE   DLT7000      30,391.8  100.0    Full
> DMM574                    NOTES_TAPE   DLT7000      30,485.4  100.0    Full
> DMM576                    NOTES_TAPE   DLT7000      30,189.2  100.0    Full

It's my understanding that the DLT7000's come configured to maximize data
thruput, and will automatically fall out of compression to do this.  If
you want to maximize data storage, then you need to modify the drive
behavior.  It should be in the DLT7000 manual.  Of course, BreeceHill and
Quantum were the people who told me this, and you are running STK
microcode, so I would ask them.

Hope this helps,

Steve (unVMix Systems Programmer/Dude) Roder
(tkssteve AT ubvm.cc.buffalo DOT edu | tkssteve AT acsu.buffalo DOT edu |
(716)645-3564 ,