ADSM-L

Novell Client

2015-10-04 18:00:06
Subject: Novell Client
From: owner-adsm-l (INTERNET.OWNERAD) at SNADGATE
To: Jerry Lawson at ASUPO
Date: 3/23/98 6:35PM
First, in my copy of the ADSM manual for Novell (v2) - the abbreviation for
SCHEDULE is SCH.  Unlike some products, ADSM seems to only use either the
full command or the exact short form - nothing in between.  Since you say
that the backup is running, then the client must be taking this form, but I'd
be careful.  Check for the existence of a file in the ADSM directory called
DSMSCHED.LOG - it should also contain the messages that go to the ADSM
screen.

Second, I'm not sure what you mean by "background" in a Novell environment.
The ADSM scheduler, at least in on V3.x Novell machine, starts another task
window.  I get mine to start by adding the LOAD DSMC SCHEDULE command to the
autoexec.ncf file, so it is started when the server is started.  You will
also need to add -pas=xxxxx to handle the password prompt so that whoever
starts NetWare doesn't miss the password prompt and leave ADSM hanging.

Lastly, I generally add an administrative command to change the client's
password back to itself periodically.  This eliminates the potential for an
expired password to stop ADSM processing.

Jerry Lawson
jlawson AT thehartford DOT com

Author:  owner-adsm-l (INTERNET.OWNERAD) at SNADGATE
Date:    3/23/98 6:35 PM

Hello ADSMers,

I have just begun to work with a Novell client and cannot figure out how
to load the scheduler in the background.  Also, the client in remote, so
I'm depending on someone else to enter the commands.  We;ve tried:

        LOAD DSMC SCHED

The schedule kicks off but all the output goes to the console.  Please
help.

Thanks.
--
Ray Pratts