ADSM-L

Re: BASIS: Backup Throughput

1998-03-22 19:35:22
Subject: Re: BASIS: Backup Throughput
From: "Nicholas, Murray, Haltek/AU" <MurrayNi AT HALTEK.COM DOT AU>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 1998 10:35:22 +1000
My last DLT client used DLT 2000 devices (nominally 70GB capacity) on NT
3.51 with ADSM as the backup solution.  We estimated a throughput of
approx 5GB/hour for an online brbackup.  If my memory serves me
correctly this was documented as the limiting speed of either the SCSI
bus or the tape device itself rather than the software.

On a daily basis we ran online brbackups around 4.30 pm.  This allowed
the production backup system to complete processing before the
operations staff finished their evening shift thereby ensuring that the
test system's backup tape would be mounted!

Murray Nicholas
IT Systems Consultant
Galeforce Information Services Pty Ltd
email:  murray AT galeforce.bu.aust DOT com