ADSM-L

Re: Maximum recovery log capacity?

2015-10-04 18:00:05
Subject: Re: Maximum recovery log capacity?
From: INTERNET.OWNERAD at SNADGATE
To: Jerry Lawson at ASUPO
Date: 3/20/98 11:47AM
So my question is - what kind of documentation would level 2/3 want?

By the way, I did have an occurrence last week where the whole process did work
the log threshold was reached, a full backup was triggered, the backup took
too long, sessions were canceled, the backup finished, and the log cleared and
reinstated normal rocessing.

Jerry Lawson
jlawson AT thehartford DOT com
Author:  INTERNET.OWNERAD at SNADGATE
Date:    3/20/98 11:47 AM

I agree with Gunther. We backup our database daily
(unfortunately, due to the size of the DB, we're forced to do
incremental backups and fulls only once a week) and we regularly
push up near this 5GB limit. I'm particularly perturbed b/c I
have a 9.1GB disk for the recovery log, of which I can only use a
little over half.

Why does this limit exist? It seems arbitrary--and incredibly
small, given that 500GB was the figure quoted as the max for a
database. I can't imagine you could run in roll-forward with
anything larger than 50GB without having to do DB backups several
times per day.

This brings me to another point: is there a reason why ADSM can't
be smart when the log *does* fill up (I know, it shouldn't happen,
but given the number of times the question gets asked on this
list, we all know that it does). When Oracle doesn't have a log
volume to which it can switch, it doesn't crash. It merely
prevents all database activity from continuing until the
administrator rectifies the problem. I particularly like the idea
of a set of log files which are switched when they fill up.

 -- Tom

"It's a dog eat dog world,                Thomas A. La Porte
 and I'm wearing milkbone underwear."     DreamWorks SKG
              - Norm Peterson             <tlaporte AT anim.dreamworks DOT com>

On Fri, 20 Mar 1998, H.G.Borrmann wrote:

>> Subject:  Maximum recovery log capacity?

[...]