ADSM-L

Re: NT Webshell

1998-03-20 18:37:22
Subject: Re: NT Webshell
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 1998 18:37:22 -0500
You can run the webshell client as an NT service using the SRVANY.EXE utility
that comes with the Windows NT Resource Kit. On my NT 4.0 system, the resource
kit was installed in directory D:\NTRESKIT. In that directory are the
SRVANY.EXE file and the SRVANY.WRI file. The latter is in Windows Write format
(can be read with WordPad), and provides general information on using
SRVANY.EXE to run a Windows NT applicaiton as a service.

Using the SRVANY.WRI file for reference, here is my procedure:

1) Install SRVANY.EXE as a service with this command (from an MS-DOS prompt):

     INSTSRV WebShell D:\NTRESKIT\SRVANY.EXE

This will create a new NT service called "WebShell".

2) Run REGEDT32 to edit the NT registry. ***** CAUTION ***** Always use this
utility with extreme care. Incorrect changes to the registry can cause problems
for your system, even possibly rendering it unbootable.

3) Add a key under
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\WebShell called
"Parameters". To that key, add the three values shown in the table below:

VALUE NAME        DATA TYPE     STRING