ADSM-L

Re: Backing up NDS

1998-03-20 10:28:03
Subject: Re: Backing up NDS
From: Neal Lauver <neal AT NS.PCAO.CO.PIMA.AZ DOT US>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 1998 08:28:03 -0700
Bob,
  I went through some problems (just ADSM errors -- not Netware crashes) when
trying to back up the NDS on my 4.11 server.  I finally called IBM who told me
that this section of the manuals are totally wrong.  Here's the command they
told me to use to back up the NDS:

load dsmc incremental dir:/* -su=yes

The "su" is for subdirectories.  IBM tells me that even though this is command
specifies an incremental backup, it will do a full backup of the NDS every time,
so it's effectively the same as using the command:

load dsmc selective dir:/* -su=yes

Actually, to further confuse things, the IBM tech I spoke with recommended using
the incremental option because when she tested it it actually backed up two
files that the selective command didn't.

I'm not sure which release number of the ADSM v3 Netware client I'm using, but I
know that it's the latest version that is on the ADSM web page.  My server is an
AIX box also on the newest v3 release.

Hope this helps.

Neal Lauver
Pima County Attorney's Office