ADSM-L

AW: NT & ADSM Backups (Backing up databases)

1998-03-20 04:22:02
Subject: AW: NT & ADSM Backups (Backing up databases)
From: Michael Bartl <michael.bartl AT ZENTRALE.ADAC DOT DE>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 1998 10:22:02 +0100
A question that reappears from time to time...
NT supports access to open files, so a serialization SHARED static or
dynamic sometimes works. For example Lotus Notes for NT does access its
database files while ADSM has no problem reading those files with the
Notes server running at the same time.
NT also offers a way to access files exclusively, this method is used by
SQL- and Exchange-servers. When an application has opened a file
exclusively, ADSM is not able to get this file backed up.

You have three methods of backing up this kind of data:
1. Shutdown database, backup files, restart database
2. Use builtin feature of database product to create dump files of each
DB (e.g. possible with MSSQL), backup dump files
3. Use an ADSM database agent to access the database thru API

The agents for Notes and MSSQL server are available, the agent for
Exchange is announced. I think it's worth waiting for this option, but
there's also a possibility to build a 'logical' ADSM/Exchange agent
using Seagate BackupExec (the complete agent is chained together using
the combination: Exchange Agent <-> BackupExec Single Server <-> ADSM
option).

Regards,
Michael
--