ADSM-L

Advisibility of disk pools as "landing pads" only?

1998-03-19 22:07:01
Subject: Advisibility of disk pools as "landing pads" only?
From: "Allen S. Rout" <asr AT CORNPONE.NERDC.UFL DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 1998 22:07:01 -0500
Greetings, all.

I'm getting ready to define a set of disk storage volumes for my ADSM setup,
with the intent that I would be using them as a more-or-less "landing pad";
i.e. they can accept data more efficiently than the optical or tape, and I can
run more simultaneous sessions against them, but I don't really plan to keep
data on them for long:  my nightly incrementals might regularly exceed the
size of the disk pool.

Someone here noted today "but that might cause migration, which I would want
to avoid during the backup window".  Is there a reason to avoid that, _other_
than simply losing access to the migrating volume during the migration period?

Is this a dumb idea for some other reason?  I plan to have rather a lot of
fairly small spindles for disk pool: I won't lose a lot if a few of them go
into migration during a session, and I can migrate _all_ the data off
gradually during the day, so I can have a clean slate for the next night.

Any input, or references to Fine Manuals that I might Read, would be welcome.

-Allen S. Rout