ADSM-L

Re: Copy Storage Pools And Reclamation

1998-03-18 23:09:31
Subject: Re: Copy Storage Pools And Reclamation
From: Dave Crockett <crockett AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 1998 23:09:31 -0500
> What's the best way to reclaim the data on these volumes?  I've been
> screaming for extra tapes for weeks, to no avail.  The unit has a single
> drive so reclamation isn't really feasible.  I can't assign a
> reclaimstgpool to a copy storage pool.

Since your primary copies are on optical and your copy storage
pool data is on tape, you only need one tape drive to perform
"offsite reclamation."   You can reclaim the data that is taken offsite.
It involves copying data from your primary (optical) storage pool
back into the copy storage pool again.   Read in the Admin Guide
about "offsite reclamation."   You don't need to bring the tapes back
onsite to reclaim the data since it can use the copies of the files
in the primary pool. This will cause offsite volumes to become
empty and then they can be brought  back onsite to be used again.
Pay attention to the REUSEDELAY setting.   You don't want to
reuse them too soon.

Again, in your case, you only need one tape drive to reclaim the data in your
copy storage pool.

Dave Crockett
ADSM Development