ADSM-L

Re: Restore DB from VMBackup

1998-03-13 13:41:46
Subject: Re: Restore DB from VMBackup
From: "Moir,Betsy" <Betsy.Moir AT LN.SSW.ABBOTT DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 1998 12:41:46 -0600
As I was reading up on dumpdb, loaddb and auditdb I got the impression that I
had to have a db to dump in the first place before anything else could be
done.  It was my understanding that this was used for corrupted databases.

I know I've been very close mouthed about what happened here - probably
reducing our chances for help - but I'm attempting to save faces.  We were
allocating new db dasd.  The volume numbers currently being used were 400,401
and 402.  The new volumes were 500,501,502.  When it came time to format the
"new" volumes the numbers entered to be formatted were 400,401,402.  Bye-bye
database.  The reason we can't do db restore is because the full backup tape
has been written over.  If I go any further into the tale of why we don't
have db backups I'll start getting nasty and I don't want to do that.  We do
have full backups using vmbackup and we're trying to get some help from IBM
on whether or not a restore from here possible.

Any creative and/or completely off-the-wall ideas from anybody are welcome.

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU on 03/13/98 11:34:21 AM
Please respond to ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU @ INTERNET