ADSM-L

Re: Restore DB from VMBackup

1998-03-13 12:05:49
Subject: Re: Restore DB from VMBackup
From: "Thomas A. La Porte" <tlaporte AT ANIM.DREAMWORKS DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 1998 09:05:49 -0800
On Fri, 13 Mar 1998, Andreas Peikert wrote:

>In the end: I would say that IBM must do something here. It must always be
>possible to rebuild the DB from all the volumes currently being used. Even
>without the volhist backup, an external tape manager providing the DSN's or
>a plain paper list of volumes must be all what is needed. Otherwise the DB
>is too much at risk in my opinion.

I disagree. IBM provides all of the tools necessary within ADSM
to backup the database during normal operations of ADSM. Why
would you have backups of your ADSM server from a product other
than ADSM, but *not* have a backup of the ADSM database via the
"backup db" command? That sounds to me like putting the cart
before the horse. Why go to the trouble of setting up a backup
procedure that is guaranteed to be unreliable, when the very
product you are trying to backup is providing you with the tools
necessary to guarantee a consistent and reliable backup?

The first thing I would do after any ADSM server installation is
set up schedules to backup the database. That's why IBM provides
those tools, and makes them so easy to administer. One of the
great benefits of managing an ADSM server is that, although at
its core it is a very complex relational database package, there
are tools provided that do not require many years of database
administration experience.

 -- Tom

"It's a dog eat dog world,                Thomas A. La Porte
 and I'm wearing milkbone underwear."     DreamWorks SKG
              - Norm Peterson             <tlaporte AT anim.dreamworks DOT com>