ADSM-L

Re: Expiration of Informix logs

1998-03-12 15:41:50
Subject: Re: Expiration of Informix logs
From: Bill Colwell <bcolwell AT DRAPER DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 1998 15:41:50 -0500
In <Pine.BSI.3.96.980312123012.6379A-100000 AT usr05.primenet DOT com>, on
03/12/98

   at 12:34 PM, Alan Hamilton <alanh AT PRIMENET DOT COM> said:

>I've been looking at this problem as well.

>>Can you use a special management class for the Informix logs?

>Since Onbar never tells ADSM that the files have been deleted, they never
>go into ADSM's expiration routine.  As far as ADSM knows, these are still
>live files on the system.  As such, they will never be deleted out of ADSM
>regardless of management class settings, since ADSM will always keep one
>active version of a file it thinks still exists.

>A meat-cleaver way of doing it is to turn off reclamation and once a tape
>contains only expired logs, delete the tape with discard data=y.  That's
>really ugly -- ther has to be a better way.

What does Onbar support say about this?  This sounds to me like a bug in
onbar or at least a major ommission.  Onbar and other products like it
should have a means of reconciling what they think is in ADSM and what
actually is in ADSM and fixing the differences.
Bill Colwell
Bill Colwell
C. S. Draper Lab
Cambridge, Ma