ADSM-L

Re: The "incremental forever" paradigm, Was: How would you do this?

1998-03-06 14:07:12
Subject: Re: The "incremental forever" paradigm, Was: How would you do this?
From: Doug Thorneycroft <dthorneycroft AT LACSD DOT ORG>
Date: Fri, 6 Mar 1998 11:07:12 -0800
Michael R Vogt wrote:

> At 11:05 AM 03/06/98 -0600, John Schneider wrote:
>
> >         It just seems too optimistic to presume that one copy of all your
> > critical files would be enough, no matter what.
>
> You actually have *TWO* copies of your files. The one on the client's
> disk and the one that serves as a backup. And counting an offsite copy,
> that's *THREE*. Periodic full backups buy you absolutely nothing, unless
> you do not use colocation.
>
> We've been running backups for years and have never had a single case of
> a failed recovery due to a bad backup tape. (Anyone else?)
>
> My theory is that it's far less likely that you will lose all *THREE* copies
> of your files than it is that some disaster will wipe out your entire site.
> And in that case, one could make the argument that the people who want to
> recover the data and the systems to which they would recover it would
> probably also be history...

Reguarding the loss or damage of a tape or media, If you loose a primary
volume, it can be recreated from the copy pool, if you loose a copy
volume, it can be recreated from the primary pool.
If ADSM's incremental forever approach isn't what you want, maby you
need to find
a product designed to better fit you needs.