ADSM-L

Re: Can you have files with multiple Management Classes?

1998-03-06 09:56:38
Subject: Re: Can you have files with multiple Management Classes?
From: Hilton Tina <HiltonT AT TCE DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 6 Mar 1998 09:56:38 -0500
        You didn't complete the final sentence in #2 as to why you want
to do a full backup.  It starts with "Hogwash.  I do not wish to have my
only copy of 90% of my files on one tape, and then find out that the one
tape".  If you mean that you want to do a full copy to make sure you
have an alternative if a tape is damaged, then what you really want to
do is set up copy pools.  That is what you'll want to use for your
offsite tapes.  Basically, after defining the pools, you'll want to
issue the "backup stg" command for each local storage pool you have.  If
you lose a local volume (disk or tape), then you do a "restore vol" and
it will ask for the offsite volume(s) that contain the backup files on
the destroyed volume.  Look in the ADSM for AIX V2 Admin Guide, chapter
11, pg 238-245.

        If you change the include/exclude file to point to a different
management class, then the previous backups will get rebound to the new
management class and their retention changed.

        This should also answer your other questions about offsite
tapes.  If you meant something else with your unfinished reasoning on
full copies, please repost your questions/concerns.

        Tina Hilton
        Thomson Consumer Electronics