ADSM-L

Re: Y2K Testing

1998-03-05 04:19:40
Subject: Re: Y2K Testing
From: Matthew Warren <Matthew.Warren AT MARKS-AND-SPENCER DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 5 Mar 1998 09:19:40 -0000
Hello,

        Yes, I have looked at testing ADSM for Y2K Compliancy according
to a set criteria. I looked at the criteria and used them to identify
every process within ADSM that could possibly be relevant to that
criteria. Once things were bought down to this level the processes were
further broken down to those that were 'continuous' Ie that ran for any
length of time like migrations or backup storage pools and those that
were 'instant' like schedule definitions.

The continuous processes were monitored for correct operation as any
critical dates rolled over, and also for correct operation with complete
runs before and after critical dates.

The 'instant' processes were checked for correct operation pre - post
millenium dates.

It involved using a 'clean' server for each test. All data needed for
the test was backed up as part of that test and removed afterwards.

A test was passed if the manipulated data could be restored succesfully
in pre & post date situations.

Matthew Warren.
HOIST:  Head Office Infrastructure Support Team.
        Marks and Spencer PLC.