ADSM-L

Re: Restore of inactive files -- performance improvement

1998-03-04 19:50:56
Subject: Re: Restore of inactive files -- performance improvement
From: Leonard Boyle <SNOLEN AT VM.SAS DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 4 Mar 1998 19:50:56 EST
In article <5030100018163857000002L072*@MHS>, Dave Crockett
<crockett AT US.IBM DOT COM> says:

>Leonard Boyle said:
>
>> IBM has made available the second service ptf for the vm adsm version=
> 2
>> server. The ptf number is UQ13726.
>> This has the fix for the slow server response to queries for large fi=
>lesystems
>> when using the -inactive option. I have been told that the use of the=
> subdir
>> option will still be slow.

Dave.

I wrote it a little incorrectly. You did say that the use of the subdir
did have some improvement, just not as good as without.

>Dave Crockett
>ADSM Development

I should have checked IBMLINK before posting.
APAR PQ05614, which is the problem report for mvs, was closed in
oct 1997 but has no PTF available. APAR PQ10353 (a child
of APAR PQ05614, is the problem for the adsm v2 vm server) was
closed in nov 1997 and also has no PTF. Since I knew that the apar
had closed last year, I assumed that it would be rolled up into the
latest PTF. Something my boss keeps telling me not to do.

As this has been and continues to be a  problem for us,
I look forward to being able to order the PTF for the VM server
that contains this fix.

Dave thanks very much for coding the fix and helping to give
a clearer picture of the effect of the fix.

PS.
For a prior poster. Apar (means something like authorized
problem _____ report). Or by my standards, IBM has
accepted that you have a problem with the software.

If IBM provides a temporary program fix, you get a PTF. It's
temporary until the next release or version at which time it should
be rolled into the base code. If there is a next release.
I am sure an old timer can give a more precise definition for these.

Leonard Boyle, Mainframe support            snolen AT vm.sas DOT com
Leonard Boyle, Mainframe support            snolen AT vm.sas DOT com
SAS Institute Inc.                          ussas4hs@ibmmail
Room E206                                   (919) 677-8000 ext 6241
203 SAS Campus Drive
Cary NC 27513