ADSM-L

ADSM on VM battle

1998-03-04 13:33:59
Subject: ADSM on VM battle
From: Martha McConaghy <URMM AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 4 Mar 1998 13:33:59 EST
Betsy,

If your ADSM server moves, what platform will it go to?  OS/390?  If not,
then IBM needs to hear that.  There is an (IMHO misguided) idea within
IBM that VM applications will naturally be moved to OS/390 systems.  They
need to hear how unlikely that really is.  Also, if you no longer need
VM, then what does that do to your commitment to the S/390 line of
processors?  If IBM hears that you won't need more processors because of
the loss of ADSM on VM, they will sit up and listen.

To everyone,

I'm sure some of you are saying, "good grief, there they go on their VM kick
again".  However, the current battle should be of interest to all of you
not running off of an OS/390 server.  At any time, you might find yourself
in the same position we are in.  We have heard the argument that not enough
people are buying the VM server, yet some of the biggest ADSM customers are
running them.  (Princeton has over 5100 clients.)  Gee, when will IBM decide
that not enough of you bought the server on your platform?  Will you be
left high and dry as we have been?  Its something to keep in mind when you
are evaluating your investment in this product.

Martha