ADSM-L

Re: V2->V3 upgrade strategy

1998-03-03 09:47:35
Subject: Re: V2->V3 upgrade strategy
From: Bill Colwell <bcolwell AT DRAPER DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 1998 09:47:35 -0500
In <199803030141.UAA21928 AT theory.tc.cornell DOT edu>, on 03/02/98
   at 08:41 PM, Ruth Mitchell <mitchell AT TC.CORNELL DOT EDU> said:

>Folks,

>Would anyone be willing to share their wisdom/experience with
>us regarding our server upgrade plans?

>We are about to use 'dsmserv upgradedb' as part of the process of moving
>from an existing AIX V2 server to another AIX (4.2.1) machine running the
>V3R1 Level 0.2 (with IX74458) server. The new server will inherit the 3590
>tape drives and 3494 library used by this V2 server, but is a completely
>separate machine with its own DASD allocated for ADSM recovery log,
>database and disk volume use. Our existing tape library contains a large
>amount of data, all of which has to be accessible from the new V3 server.

>I have already configured and done some amount of testing on the new V3
>server. My upgrade plan involves the following general steps:

>        1- Flush V2 server disk pools; backup V2 ADSM database to tape

>        2- Halt/shutdown V2 server

>        3- Copy volhistory file from V2 to V3 server (possibly merge
>           with existing volhistory on V3 server).

>        4- Recable tape drives to V3 server (remove from V2 server)
>           and define new tape drives on V3 server

>        5- Halt V3 server and restore/upgrade the V2 database, as follows:

>                (a) dsmserv restore db (preview=yes, the first time
>through)

>                (b) dsmserv upgradedb

>        There isn't much documentation on the upgradedb command, so I
>        am not clear about exactly what it is designed to do. I assume
>        that prior to running 'dsmserv upgradedb', I have to run
>        'dsmserv restore db'.  Can anyone confirm/dispute this?

>The V3 server currently is using a small number of tape volumes. Will the
>metadata for these volumes be wiped out by the restore db process? Or, is
>there some other way to merge the two databases particularly if I merge the
>two volhistory files?

>I'd appreciate any feedback regarding this plan, particularly if I'm
>missing any vital steps. Thanks in advance for your insight.

>--Ruth Mitchell
>  Cornell Theory Center

The 'upgradedb' runs very fast.  It just makes some entries in the database
which prevent you from start v2 code on it, and some other  things, but it
is still very fast.  It then shuts down and you can  start the server
normally.  But this is the least of your work!

You can't merge volume history files.  The file we can see is just a backup;
 the real volumehistory is a table in the database.

The v3 server you have now will get blown away by the process you are
planning.  If you need it to do something to the tapes it owns in order to
return them to scratch, you should do 'del vol nnnnn discarddata=yes' first.
Or plan on running two adsm servers on the new machine.

The bulk of your plan is essentially a disaster recovery.  You are fortunate
to have your hotsite so close, and you were able to save all of your media!
Wow, we should all be so lucky!  So plan to restore your version 2 server on
an empty hotsite machine (the new aix 4.2.1 box) and then do the upgradedb.
Bill Colwell
Bill Colwell
C. S. Draper Lab
Cambridge, Ma