ADSM-L

Copy storage pool question

1998-03-02 12:32:53
Subject: Copy storage pool question
From: Neal Lauver <neal AT NS.PCAO.CO.PIMA.AZ DOT US>
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 1998 10:32:53 -0700
I apologize for the length of this message in advance, and warn that
it is very much a beginner's question.

I am having a bit of a conceptual problem with the idea of copy storage
pools:  I have an IBM 3995 optical jukebox with a capacity of about
52GB on 20 optical disks.  I plan to run incremental backups of clients
nightly to the disk pool and then migrate to optical during the day.
I would like to set up 40GB (or about 15 optical disks) to be allocated
to a primary storage pool and I would like to back up this primary pool
to a copy pool for offsite storage using the remaining five slots in
the optical jukebox.

Here's my question:  Should I just perform a nightly incremental backup
of the primary disk pool to the copy pool before migrating the data off
to the optical disks?  If I do this, what will I have to do six months
or a year from now in the case of disaster recovery when I have many
more than 20 disks offsite and I need to restore the primary storage
pool?  I imagine that reclamation takes care of this somehow, but right
now I can't quite picture what my offsite rotation schedule will have
to be, or how ADSM makes sure that I have a copy of all of my files
offsite.

If anyone out there could share their method for the backup of their
storage pools, I would be very grateful.

Sincerely,

Neal Lauver
Pima County Attorney's Office