ADSM-L

ADSM DIRMC and restore performance

1998-02-27 11:59:12
Subject: ADSM DIRMC and restore performance
From: Armando Lemos <ARMANDO.LEMOS AT DEUBA DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 1998 11:59:12 -0500
Hi ADSMers,

We were discussing a interesting topic about DIRMC and the benefits that we
could get from it.

I believe this is a basic question, but anyway, it can improve perfornance for
many people if our assumtion is correct.

One of the questions that we have is "When using DIRMC to point to a DISK STG,
will the restores be quicker?"

The reasoning for this assumption is the following :
 ADSM stores the directory structure first, and then the files. When a RESTORE
operation occurs, will ADSM read the tape twice? (one for the restore directory
operation) and one for the file itself?
 I can see it when a very early data is required ( the directory structure may
be in one tape and data in the other).

 I am right?

Please send your comments directly to my e-mail address too, since I am in the
digested form of the list.

Thank you,

Armando Lemos
Deutsche Bank Brazil