ADSM-L

Re: ADSM 32-bit client/Registry problem

1998-02-26 13:16:39
Subject: Re: ADSM 32-bit client/Registry problem
From: "Prather, Wanda" <PrathW1 AT CENTRAL.SSD.JHUAPL DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 1998 13:16:39 -0500
YES!!!

We have had it happen numerous times:
        *       always on Win95, not WinNT
        *       always JUST AFTER the scheduled backup starts.
        *       never reproducible
        *       the backup continues and completes OK
        *       never really corrupts the registry, system is OK after
reboot.

We are running the AIX server at 2.5.13; We are running on 16MB token
ring, all clients use the Win95 IP stack.
I am sure upgrading the server won't help; this has to be in the client
somewhere.

I have never reported to IBM, because it happens to us so infrequently
(maybe once a month, out of about 150 Win95 desktops doing daily
backups) that first I wasn't really sure it was associated with ADSM.
And I really haven't been able to get a handle on it.

You seem to have it happen MUCH more often than we do.

Here's an idea:  I suspect that it has something to do specifically with
Win95 since we've never seen it on WinNT.
I know that Win95 writes data out from memory to the registry files on
disk "periodically" (meaning you have no clue when it can happen). It
also writes the registry out immediately after a successful reboot.

The error message says "Windows encountered an error accessing the
system registry."

What if Win95 is trying to get exclusive control of one of those files
to update it, just at the same time ADSM is trying to read it to back it
up?  Would that trigger the error?

If I could reproduce this frequently, I would try putting in an EXCLUDE
for the Win95 registry files.  NOT that I would want to exclude them
regularly, but just to test the idea.

Does anybody else on the list know anything about the guts of Win95 and
its registry that would explain some of this?

Cookie, PLEASE LET US KNOW if you get anymore information!