ADSM-L

Greek text on Sun Admin?

1998-02-17 14:57:11
Subject: Greek text on Sun Admin?
From: Jerry Lawson <jlawson AT THEHARTFORD DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 1998 14:57:11 -0500
Date:     February 17, 1998             Time: 1:55 PM
From:     Jerry Lawson
          The Hartford Insurance Group
(860)  547-2960          jlawson AT thehartford DOT com
Every once in a while ADSM throws me a curve that I can't explain ..... This
Every once in a while ADSM throws me a curve that I can't explain ..... This
is one of those times.

For Unix support in our shop (primarily Sun), we have turned the client
installation over to the Sun support staff.  They install the clients - they
took the level 7 (I think) client from a DAT tape we ordered through the
support center, downloaded them to disk, and then run the install from there.
 They intend to install just the client, but I think they install the whole
client package.  I say "I think" because today I went to visit one of my
oldest customers, and his new Sun server.  We set up the new client node, and
then started it up - everything works as it should.  But we noticed that
there was also an IBMDSMsa5 directory - so out of curiosity, we switched to
it, and started up the Admin client (DSMADM).  It started with no problem,
but the panels were all in GREEK!  (I am not making this up - sessions
started with a Sigma, and when I displayed my session, it had an "A" (alpha?)
as the second letter, and an Omega where the W should have been.

I am confused, since the admin and backup clients were installed from the
same set of files, at the same time.  The guy who did the installation was
there, and he said that he installed it pretty straight - no changes to
defaults, etc.  He does not remember being prompted for a language, either.

Any ideas what happened to us?

The server is running Solaris 2.6 - we used the changes to the installation
script that were posted on this list a couple of months ago to get the
installation to run on this release.  The Sun guy checked the installations
on Solaris 2.5 and 2.5.1 machines, and the Admin is in English there.  Is
this a 2.6 Feature?

                                                     Jerry
                                                     Jerry