ADSM-L

Re: NT scheduler install in V3R1

2015-10-04 18:01:07
Subject: Re: NT scheduler install in V3R1
From: INTERNET.OWNERAD at SNADGATE
To: Jerry Lawson at ASUPO
Date: 2/16/98 3:50PM
I don't want to assume that I am speaking for the whole list, but I do know
that I will certainly appreciate having the menu driven interface back.

Although we have not tried to use automation tools to do the installation of
the ADSM code, I am aware of the issues that surround the process.  A tool
like DSMCUTIL that can run in a batch mode is a definite plus for these
folks, as you well know.   At my shop, we have distributed the installation
process to local LAN administrators, who usually do the process manually.
So, an interactive tool that "walks them through" the process (like DSMCSVCI
did) is of value to us.

When I attended GUIDE, we used to have a "prize" we would give out from time
to time called the "William Tell Near Miss" award.  (By the way, my tongue is
firmly planted in my cheek, right now.)   The idea behind it was that if a
developer released something, and it was way off mark (missed the apple by a
mile) - no one would complain, because the tool didn't meet anyone's needs
and wouldn't be used at all.  In fact, all would hail it's replacement.  But
if the developer  missed the mark by just an inch or two - perhaps, straight
down ;-)  then the impact is significant, and the impact to the user is
greatest.  We never had an official "prize" for this award, but there was one
individual (who had won the award himself) who had a broken Anvil that he
talked about donating - but he didn't want to carry it to a meeting!  (Do you
know how hard it is to break an anvil?!)

At any rate, Pete, thanks for taking the time to reinstate the DSMCSVCI
utility - I believe many others will join me in thanking you for it.  But
don't think for a moment that DSMCUTIL was a mistake - there are many others
that will thank you just as much for providing it.

Jerry Lawson
jlawson AT thehartford DOT com

Author:  INTERNET.OWNERAD at SNADGATE
Date:    2/16/98 3:50 PM

Ok, after seeing all of the complaints about removing the menu interface
(dsmcsvci) for installing the scheduler service from version 3 I have decided to
rewrite it and put it out on the ftp server.  My original intent is providing
the command line only interface (dsmcutil) was to provide a batch
mode/non-interactive capability that many of our larger customers had been
requesting/demanding. The utility was also rewritten to allow
installing/configuring multiple services on the same machine. Our ultimate goal
is provide a true GUI interface in addition to the current command line
interface but due to time and resource constraints I don't see being available
until later this year, so I will provide the console mode menu interface for
now. I will post an append on the list server when the menu interface is
available on our ftp server (should be about a week or so).

Pete Tanenhaus
ADSM NT Development
---------------------- Forwarded by Pete Tanenhaus/San Jose/IBM on 02/16/98

  ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU