ADSM-L

Re: ADSM alternatives

1998-02-13 03:57:36
Subject: Re: ADSM alternatives
From: Brett Walker <walkerbl AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 00:57:36 -0800
What about using ADSM Servers in single client mode?  For those platforms
that we have a server (NT, OS/2, AIX, Sun, HP...) you could attach your
tape drive to the system, run a server and the client on the same machine.
Should be pretty darn fast, and no network traffic.  We even support a
shared memory protocol on some of the client/server combos.  You could also
continue to backup that client to a main ADSM server, where the tapes could
be managed offsite.  That way your not managing two totally different
backup systems.

Just a thought...

Cheers,
Brett

>Hi Kelly,  I don't know if an NT based system would be too slow, I guess
>it'd be interesting to compare speeds, an ADSM-MVS solution versus ADSM-NT
>solution.  I've been told to assume 100 or so 60GB servers that in the
>event of a disaster would all have to be restored ASAP.  They are trying
>right now to come up with a prioritizing scheme, and put time requirements
>on them, but don't have it yet.  They believe the combination of the
>mainframe and the network bandwidth would cause the recovery to take weeks
>and weeks. I don't believe anyone's put much time into making an accurate
>guess though.  When I suggested an ADSM-Unix solution, they said, we'd
>still have that bandwidth problem, all those servers, fighting for
>bandwidth.  They like the idea of locally attached tape drives and no
>(possible) bandwidth problems.  (When I say bandwidth, in this case, we're
>just talking about 100 local servers and not any of the remote servers, for
>whom they dont want to consider ADSM)
>Julie
>

>lipp AT STORSOL DOT COM on 02/12/98 01:44:12 PM
>
>Please respond to ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
>
>To:   ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
>cc:    (bcc: Julie Phinney/Green Bay/Humana)
>Subject:  Re: ADSM alternatives
>

>Do you think in the long run that an NT based ADSM server solution would
>still be too slow for a viable DR solution?  What sorts of restore
>requirements do you have?  Time and data size?
>I assume the ArcServer solution has locally attached tapes on each system
>(or a traveling tape) that would be used for both the backup and restore in
>a disaster.
>Kelly

  Brett Walker                  ADSM Development, IBM
  walkerbl AT vnet.ibm DOT com         tie 276-0265
"That's just my opinion; I could be wrong."
      --- Dennis Miller