ADSM-L

Re: ADSM alternatives

1998-02-12 21:44:03
Subject: Re: ADSM alternatives
From: Julie Phinney <jphinney AT HUMANA DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 20:44:03 -0600
Hi Kelly,  I don't know if an NT based system would be too slow, I guess
it'd be interesting to compare speeds, an ADSM-MVS solution versus ADSM-NT
solution.  I've been told to assume 100 or so 60GB servers that in the
event of a disaster would all have to be restored ASAP.  They are trying
right now to come up with a prioritizing scheme, and put time requirements
on them, but don't have it yet.  They believe the combination of the
mainframe and the network bandwidth would cause the recovery to take weeks
and weeks. I don't believe anyone's put much time into making an accurate
guess though.  When I suggested an ADSM-Unix solution, they said, we'd
still have that bandwidth problem, all those servers, fighting for
bandwidth.  They like the idea of locally attached tape drives and no
(possible) bandwidth problems.  (When I say bandwidth, in this case, we're
just talking about 100 local servers and not any of the remote servers, for
whom they dont want to consider ADSM)
Julie

lipp AT STORSOL DOT COM on 02/12/98 01:44:12 PM