ADSM-L

Re: ADSM alternatives

2015-10-04 18:01:07
Subject: Re: ADSM alternatives
From: INTERNET.OWNERAD at SNADGATE
To: Jerry Lawson at ASUPO
Date: 2/11/98 10:35AM
We are MVS, and have been running it for several years.  We looked at
multiple products before selecting ADSM for a pilot.  Since the products have
changed so dramatically in three years, I would think that are findings might
not be relevant (or correct) today.  In a nutshell, we selected it because of
the breadth of support clients, servers, and comm methods.  Additionally, we
liked the product because there was a marked attempt to have the clients be
"appropriate" for the platform.... in other words - the Macintosh client
looked like a Macintosh client - not an OS/2 (or windows or Unix) application
rewritten for the platform. This held true across all platforms and made for
ease of use - it reacts consistently to the operating system.

I have not been in touch with the "alternatives" in a while, but would expect
our review of products to have ADSM on top again.  The salability argument is
one that ARCServe seems to be throwing around again, and seems to me to be
disinformation more than anything.  Sort of like the definition of the
acronym MIPS - Meaningless Information Propagated by Salesmen  :-)>

The last time I looked, Gartner Group gave ADSM a high rating as well.  That
was before V3 was announced, so you might check again if you are a GG client.

Jerry Lawson
jlawson AT thehartford DOT com

Author:  INTERNET.OWNERAD at SNADGATE
Date:    2/11/98 10:35 AM

Can I ask why (in general terms)??

Also, I wanted to note that there wasn't a great response to my question
about other ADSM replacement product analysis.  Does this mean:
*there aren't a lot of MVS server customers here on this forum?
*that people jumped on ADSM initially and for various reasons, don't
want to convert to another product?
*that people want to keep quiet about the analysis they may have done?
*that no other product does the job of ADSM?

I appreciate the responses that I DID get and would appreciate all other
comments?????