ADSM-L

Re: Large systems

1998-02-11 11:35:16
Subject: Re: Large systems
From: "Sanders, David" <DSanders AT INTERNAL.MASSMUTUAL DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 11:35:16 -0500
I was also intrigued by the comments of an ADSM system that was managing
50TB of data.  So, I went and looked at our configuration and found:
*we manage only 500-G-B of data across multiple platforms with the
server being on MVS mainframe
*our DB (no mirror by the way) is 6.3GB
*our recovery log (no mirror) is 1.7GB
*our DASD backuppool is 17GB

We are still V2 and I know that V3 offers some performance improvements,
but we do have a concern with the fact that managing the ADSM system is
a 24hour process (in other words we don't have a great deal of idle
time) and that we use between 12-20MIPS during our peak daytime period
of 09:00-10:00.  The overview of our scheduling is:

*20:00 -> 05:30 is server backup time (at 02:00 we have a copy to our
vault copypool; unload of our DASD backuppool to cart; and incremental
DB backup)
*06:00 -> 08:00 is another copy; unload; DBbackup
*08:00 -> rest of day is the update volume, reclaims, expiration, etc.

It's inconceivable to me that 50TB of data could be managed at