ADSM-L

Re: Anyone using the CLIOS connection between MVS and RS6000

1998-02-11 03:35:57
Subject: Re: Anyone using the CLIOS connection between MVS and RS6000
From: "DeMamiel, Laurie L.R." <Laurie.DeMamiel AT WOODSIDE.COM DOT AU>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 16:35:57 +0800
        Carol,

        We have an ESCON connection between an ADSM for AIX client (Ver
2) on an SP2 and the ADSM for MVS server (Ver 2 Rel 1 Level 13).  We
have been using CLIO/S to backup data from this server and are averaging
        around 10GB/hour, sometimes 12 on a good day by having 5
simultaneous sessions.
        We are using this to backup a SAP R/3 database. We had some
problems getting it going but most of was to do with BACKINT. BACKINT is
used by SAP to backup to ADSM. We also problems with the original setup
because of a
        problem with interpretation of the documentation. We also had a
microcode problem with the escon adaptor on the SP2 side.
        Without the CLIOS connection we would not be able get anywhere
near the same throughput to the MVS ADSM server and therefore would not
use this as the backup server. We believe that we would get better
throughput if we had faster MVS engines. We have a 9672 r41, and very
often we find we are cpu constrained on the MVS server. We are happy
with it now and have been using it backup production SAP databases for
over a month. The restore time is not  too bad either, considering we
are only using one session to restore.