ADSM-L

Re: Tso not allowing logging in to ADSM

2015-10-04 18:01:07
Subject: Re: Tso not allowing logging in to ADSM
From: INTERNET.OWNERAD at SNADGATE
To: Jerry Lawson at ASUPO
Date: 2/9/98 7:28PM
When ADSM is waiting for a Tape mount to be satisfied, there is a series if
things that happen.....

1.  ADSM asks for a tape from MVS, but it isn't available....

2.  ADSM takes himself off of the allocation queue (removes the request),
waits 5 seconds, and tries again.

3.  If the drive is still not available, ADSM loops on step 2 again - he will
do this for a period of time (5 minutes, I believe).

Note that if there is a queue of work asking for tape drives, and ADSM is not
on the queue when the drive becomes available (it is in the middle of the 5
second wait) some other task will get the drive.

4. At the end of the 5 minute period, a WTOR is issued to see if the request
should be terminated, or if it should be retried.  If this option is
selected, an ENQUEUE on SYSZTIOT is issued.  At this point, since ADSM is
using dynamic allocation, it should be #1 on the tape queue (in JES3, you can
see this with an *I S A command - don't know what you do in JES2).

Here is where the fun starts.  If the tape drive is not readily available,
the ADSM task requesting the drive will of course sit and wait.  Other tasks
within ADSM will continue to run, UNTIL they need some services that also use
SYSZTIOT enqueues.

It is my guess that the TSO session is probably sitting behind the tape drive
enqueue, waiting for it to finish.  Because it is in a wait state, it
cannot/does not issue any error messages.

Hope this helps....does it explain what you see going on?

Jerry Lawson
jlawson AT thehartford DOT com

Author:  INTERNET.OWNERAD at SNADGATE
Date:    2/9/98 7:28 PM

Nancy,

No error message occurs.  All it does is ask for the administrator name,
when you enter the name it just hangs until the pending allocation is
completed.

Dave