ADSM-L

Prompted Schedules 103....

2015-10-04 18:02:08
Subject: Prompted Schedules 103....
From: INTERNET.OWNERAD at SNADGATE
To: Jerry Lawson at ASUPO
Date: 1/29/98 10:46AM
Thanks for the details - you confirmed a couple of things for me, and a=
lso
gave me a couple of things to look at.  As for our server, it is MVS, r=
unning
Level 13, which I believe is the latest - level 15 was PE the last time=
looked.

I do have one question, though - Once someone gets onto the prompted sc=
hedule
queue, how does he get off?  In my case, the client no longer exists, b=
ut the
customer doesn't want to get rid of the node, because of some critical
backups.  I tried renaming the node, but the scheduler prompter  picked=
 up my
trick, and tried the new node at the old IP address.  I sure would like=
get rid of this guy, and a couple of others who will most likely never =
come
in again.  How about some kind of checking that says that if the prompt=
er
hasn't been able to contact a node in some period of time (user definab=
le -
perhaps 7 days) then you won't try him any more.  After all, if the cli=
ent
does become available again, he can start up his scheduler and reestabl=
ish
contact with the Server.

Jerry Lawson
jlawson AT thehartford DOT com

______________________________ Forward Header _________________________=
_________
Author:  INTERNET.OWNERAD at SNADGATE
Date:    1/29/98 10:46 AM

 When the prompter attempts to contact a client which is in
prompted mode, there is a 1 minute wait for a response from
the client. At the time of the first "no response" from the
client a message is issued indicating the failure to contact.
The node in question is left on the list for contact to be retried
after other nodes have been "prompted". The next time around, if there =
is
still no contact, the message IS NOT issued, but the client remains on =
the
list. The client will remain on the list until the duration for that
node/schedule ends. Once the window has passed with no contact, the
schedule for that node is marked as missed in the event table.
 If you change the IP address on a prompted mode client that is current=
ly
running, you must stop and restart he schedule client to notify the
server of the new IP address.
 Also, please make sure you have the latest server PTF, as there has
been some corrections made to a possible loop problem in pending table
for scheduled admin commands (normally only seen on VERY SLOW MVS machi=
nes).
 We have considered reducing the wait time of 1 minute. If we get enoug=
outcry for a change we will implement a shoter wait period. Finally,
ensure your MAXSCHEDSESSIONS value allows for a generous number of sche=
dule
clients.

Tom Brooks
ADSM Development