ADSM-L

Re: ADSM V3 on NT

1998-01-26 11:18:59
Subject: Re: ADSM V3 on NT
From: Mike Wilson <mwilson6 AT TUELECTRIC DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 1998 10:18:59 -0600
With almost certainty, a mirrored configuration should out perform a raid-5
configuration. Especially where a write intensive application is involved
(like an ADSM Server). You always have to perform additional I/O with
raid-5 to read parity data and write new parity data. This is even more
evident  in hardware that does not have large amounts of write cache. This
is normally the case with internal server raid devices since these systems
do not usually have built in battery backed up cache memory for insuring
data integrity in the event of a failure.

 We are able to notice a write penalty even on our HDS 7700 DASD subsystems
running on our OS/390 systems. We have one subsystem that has 4gb of cache
and we have measured backing up a full 3390-3 (2.8gb) in 6 minutes with a
restore of the same volume taking 8 minutes (and these devices have
extensive cache algorithms to minimize the write penalty).

 Also I had incorrectly stated before that we saw a 33% improvement in V2
under NT when we changed from raid-5,  but the actual numbers were we went
from 1gb hour throughput to 1.5gb hour which would be a 50% improvement.
This was the only change made during that time.

RAID-1 (mirroring) has almost zero overhead when compared to native disk
devices. The difference is almost un-measurable But the trade off is you
need twice the disk. That is why we mirror the important files like NT,
ADSM DB & recovery log and use native disk for storage pools. If we have a
failure on a storage pool device (which has not happened yet) then we will
just discard the data and it should be picked up on the next backup.

Hope this helps.

bill AT NSMC.PARTNERS DOT ORG on 01/26/98 08:51:00 AM