ADSM-L

Re: Using a 3570-B02 device on AIX 4.2.1 with ADSM v2.1.5...

1998-01-26 07:55:46
Subject: Re: Using a 3570-B02 device on AIX 4.2.1 with ADSM v2.1.5...
From: Rui Malheiro <rmalheiro AT MAIL.TELEPAC DOT PT>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 1998 12:55:46 GMT
Replying to: Thomas Haddad <thaddad AT COLUMBIAENERGYGROUP DOT COM> (Fri, 23 Jan
1998 10:06:47 -0500)

>Ive talked to a few of you about using a 3570 mod B02 tape device. Im running
>Aix 4.2.1 with ADSM 2.1.5.
>Im only getting about 5G on the tape volumes. At about 35% utilization, the
>tape vol becomes full!!! Heres my
>device definition on ADSM. From what I know I should be getting 15G or so on
>each vol??!!

This may be because you're using client-side compression. Data arrives
compressed at the 3570 and it can't compress it any further so you only get
to hit the *uncompressed* capacity of the tape, that is 5GB. Unless network
bandwidth is a bottleneck, you should try *only* hardware (Magstar MP)
compression

--
Rui Malheiro,
Rui Malheiro,