ADSM-L

Re: Alerting if ADSM Server Goes Down - NT

1998-01-25 11:49:51
Subject: Re: Alerting if ADSM Server Goes Down - NT
From: "Prather, Wanda" <PrathW1 AT CENTRAL.SSD.JHUAPL DOT EDU>
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 1998 11:49:51 -0500
Hi Thomas...

We run the ADSM V2 Server on AIX, and also have Netview on another AIX
host.
I know it is possible to do what you want as far as Netview is
concerned.

On AIX, we have played around with some scripts that run a DSMC Q
ACTIVE, grep for error messages, then execute an SNMP trap to send an
alert to Netview.  There are other threads in the archives of this list
from people who have done similar things, also under AIX.

I don't know how that is done under Windows.  I'm sure it is possible,
but would also be a lot of work if you don't already have some something
on your WInNT host that allows you to send an SNMP trap.  The process
would be the same - set up a script to query the ADSM log, process it,
send alerts as needed.

However, the ADSM V3 server ALREADY has this capability built in.  There
is an SNMP "heartbeat" function that will notify Netview if the server
goes down, and also the ability to notify Netview (or a user exit, or
write to a flat file, or a bunch of other options) if a given error
message occurs.  Right now we are looking at the possibility of buying
V3, since it may be CHEAPER for us to upgrade earlier than we had
planned, rather than burn the hours writing the code to do it ourselves
on V2.....

You can find out more about the V3 SNMP capabilities here:

http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/SG242236/sg242236.htm

Wanda Prather
Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Lab
301-953-6000 X8769
wanda_prather AT jhuapl DOT edu

"Intelligence has much less practical application than you'd think."
              - Scott Adams/Dilbert