ADSM-L

COPY STGPOOL OPERATION

1998-01-23 19:05:25
Subject: COPY STGPOOL OPERATION
From: Tahir Mahmood <tmahmood AT VANSEL.ALCATEL DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 19:05:25 -0500
Hi everyone,

CONFIGURATION:
===============
I am running ADSM V2R1 on an OS/2 platform. CLients incl OS/2 WARP servers
and Novell. We have an Exabyte EXB 210 tape library with a magazine of ten
tapes and two Tape Drives.

Total DASD load about 26 GB. Comm method TCP/IP

Migration Hierarchy : Data backed up to a 1.2 GB Random Access Storage Pool
then migrated to the Tape Library.

Max 03 versions backed up.

QUESTIONS:
===========

Q.1.  A full backup takes about 5 tapes (each a 160mXL with a rated
uncompressed capacity of 7 GB). While defining the device following
parameters used :

Device Type = 8MM, Format = 8500.

Are these the correct parameters used for the tape drive (Exabyte 8950 XLS)
? I suspect I am not getting anything close to 14 GB with compression which
I should be getting

Q.2.  I want to implement a copy stgpool. What keeps me from doing this is
the fact that at times the primary tape pool uses more than 5 tapes (not
counting the tape with the database backup). Don't I need exactly double the
number of tape vols for both primary and copy storage pools ?

Can I copy a given primary storage pool vol onto a copy stgpool volume ? One
at a time I mean ?

Q.3  While doing selective backup on a host of dirs with the incl subdir=yes
option, the schedule stops when it finds a dir without any file ? Can I get
over this problem somehow ?

Q.4  When backing up a 4.3 GB hard drive on one of the OS/2 clients. the
incremental schedule stops and the OS/2 issues a trap error. Furtehrmore,
the filespace for this drive is reported as absurdly large with illogical
numbers. Is there a way outta this ??

Thanks in advance for all your help....

Tahir M
ALCATEL,