ADSM-L

Re: Registry Restore to Identical Hardware

1998-01-23 14:52:42
Subject: Re: Registry Restore to Identical Hardware
From: "Booher, Joelle M" <jmbooher AT AMP DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 14:52:42 -0500
I do bare metal restores without a maintenance partition:

1) install NT to a path other than the original (i.e., c:\WinTemp)
2) install ADSM to a path other than the original (i.e. c:\AdsmTemp),
but use the same nodename as the original
3) do a full restore, replace all (including system files)
4) manually copy the adsm.sys files
(adsm.sys\registry\%servername%\machine\*.* and ...\users\*.*  into the
c:\%systempath%\system32\config directory

There may be a 5th step in here for the restore of a 4.0 desktop - there
was a thread going around about that.  Since all of my systems are
servers, it's not an issue for me.

Then I reboot, and it comes up perfectly.  This works great when
restoring to the same box, or to identical hardware.  I've had to mess
around with which of the registry hives I don't restore when the
hardware is different, but I have also been successful with that.
Anyhow, after it's back to it's original state, I just delete the two
temp directories.  No trace of them is left since all of the system
files, boot.ini, etc. have been overwritten by the restore.