ADSM-L

Re: networking and adsm

1998-01-23 14:41:01
Subject: Re: networking and adsm
From: "McGrew, Perry" <pmcgrew AT AGWAY DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 14:41:01 -0500
Cindy,
We are in the midst of ATM & ADSM implementation too.  We are running OS/390
1.3, TCP/IP 3.2, ADSM/MVS V3 and have V3 Clients on our AIX, Novell and HP-UX
machines.  We just installed an IBM 8265 (native ATM switch).  We backup to MVS
via OSA-2 card.  Our testing has shown 1.5 - 1.7 MB/sec (approx 5.4 GB/hr)
single threaded.  I can FTP over ATM UNIX-to-UNIX at  5-7 MB/sec which works
out to about 18-25 GB/hr reported.  Our throughput "problems" are basically:
1) We ran Ethernet LAN Emulation (LANE).  Ethernet restricts the MTU size to
1500.
2) Attempted to convert to Token-Ring Emulation because we can increase the MTU
size to 4544.
    The problem here is that HP's don't support Emulated Token-Ring over ATM.
3a) OSA-2 card on the mainframe doesn't support Classical IP until OS/390 V2 R5
due out in March.
3b) The MVS TCP/IP stack doesn't perform well as UNIX TCP/IP stacks.  MVS
TCP/IP (as well
      as ADSM/MVS) doesn't take advantage of muliple processors.  So even if
you have a multi-CPU
      CMOS box, such as 9672-R53, you are limited to power of a single
processor -- approx 20 MIPS
      in our 9672-R53.
4) We have been told to expect about 6MB/sec using ADSM/MVS V3
5) As I understand it, the MVS TCP/IP stack in OS/390 V2R5  (FMID HTCP340) is
supposed to
    be another quantum leap in performance -- which would address 3a.
I can't comment on some of your other issues but we invested a lot of time and
money in the ATM/ADSM infrastructure.  We went to IBM's Networking center in
Raleigh where they drew up this solution and "promised" that it would meet our
needs --- to this date it hasn't lived up to anywhere near the throughput
numbers we presented in any of the meetings with them.  To their credit, they
have been working very hard at helping us solve the throughput issue....
Hope this helps a little...

Perry
Agway Inc.