ADSM-L

Re: Number of backup copies to keep

1998-01-14 10:09:31
Subject: Re: Number of backup copies to keep
From: "Prather, Wanda" <PrathW1 AT CENTRAL.SSD.JHUAPL DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 1998 10:09:31 -0500
We keep 6 copies of active files for 60 days; 1 copy of deleted files
for 60 days.
Space in the tape library is at a premium, or I wouild keep more copies
but stick to the 60 day limit.
The number of days to keep the extra backup versions has had more impact
on the size of the library than the number of versions, because we found
that most files don't change at all, and only a small number of files
use all 6 versions.

We figured after 60 days it is unlikely that anybody remembers what the
nth version back really was, anyway.
Our experience is that with this scheme, we get about 1 person per
quarter that wants something restored that we don't have.  And in those
cases, they usually can't tell you whether it was 90 days old or 180, so
increasing the time limit would be unlikely to help those people, unless
we went to infinity.

I would suggest reducing your limit from 18 months to 15, and see how
many people have a problem; then you can guage what the impact would be
if you reduced it further and whether the cost is acceptable.

Wanda Prather
Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Lab
301-953-6000 X8769
wanda_prather AT jhuapl DOT edu

"Intelligence has much less practical application than you'd think."
              - Scott Adams/Dilbert