ADSM-L

ADSM

2015-10-04 18:02:07
Subject: ADSM
From: INTERNET.OWNERAD at SNADGATE
To: Jerry Lawson at ASUPO
Date: 1/9/98 11:58AM
First question - one of your three classes should be marked as the default -
it will be applied to all files unless specifically overridden.  To override
the default, you must put an include statement in the DSM.OPT file, include
an appropriate file spec pattern to get the directory and files you want, and
then add the name of the management class you want.

In your second paragraph you talk about the SQL database Admin - to get the
weekly and monthly backups you should use Archive functions, not backups.
What might seem to work, but won't really, is changing your management class
to handle weekly and monthly backups.  What this really does is rebind the
existing files to the new specifications.  This works OK going to the weekly,
but coming back to the daily, your weekly backup gets treated like a daily
again - it will be deleted just like a daily.  Not what you intend.  Archives
will keep the files for a specified period instead - such as 31 0r 180 days.

Second question -

This really depends on how your backups are taken.  Are you taking full DB
dumps?  Then you need to just restore the last one - no need to process
what's in between.  OR are you just backing up changed data?  Then you need
to start at the last full backup, and apply changes forward, using the tools
that the forward recovery files were made with.

Hope this helps.

Jerry Lawson
jlawson AT thehartford DOT com

Author:  INTERNET.OWNERAD at SNADGATE
Date:    1/9/98 11:58 AM

        Unusual question today:  I have set up a Policy domain with one
policy set and three management classes (daily, weekly, monthly).  All
management classes show that they are active.  My question is how does
the backup determine what files get which management class??

        Some background info on the question.  I have a SQL database
Administrator who backs up his databases with his own backup devices.
He wants daily backups kept for 14 days, weekly backups kept for 4
weeks, and monthly backups kept for 6 months.  I have brought up the
ADSM connect agent, and he doesn't like that Idea.

        Another question I think I already know the answer to is say I
get this backup scheme to work.  Can I restore one of his dump files
from 6 months ago, then apply weekly and daily backups to bring the file
up to date??

Thank you in advance,
Rick Smith
Maritz, Inc.