ADSM-L

Re: ADSM mirroring vs. AIX mirroring

1998-01-06 12:33:27
Subject: Re: ADSM mirroring vs. AIX mirroring
From: "Pittson, Timothy ,HiServ/NA" <tpittson AT HIMAIL.HCC DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 1998 12:33:27 -0500
David,

If you read thru my note, I wasn't engaged in any 'scare tactics'  but
was replying to the question 'if you were going to use AIX or ADSM
mirroring', which would you use. I was simply offering an opinion on
what I would use if those were my options  In my case, the ADSM DB is on
a 7137 disk array and this provides sufficient redundancy in the
hardware to warant not having to mirror the database.  However, when we
ran on ADSM on MVS, I made the decision to mirror the ADSM DB -  it was
spread out across many 3390-2 disks.  For those of you familiar with
mainframe disk technology, the 3390-2 disk drives had some reliability
problems as they became 'more mature' :-).  This saved me from having to
recover the ADSM DB on 5 different occasions over a 2-3 year period.
Any decision on mirroring or any form of redundancy needs to be
predicated by such things as how critical the system is, how long would
it take to recover, how much would it cost to provide that redundancy,
etc.

Tim

p.s. Doesn't DB2 provide other means of redundancy such as dual disk
logging, table mirroring, and MVS related stuff such as data set level
dual copy using SMS, etc. ?