ADSM-L

Re: ADSM mirroring vs. AIX mirroring

1998-01-06 10:03:56
Subject: Re: ADSM mirroring vs. AIX mirroring
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 1998 10:03:56 -0500
>Wow, this sounds suspiciously like the old scare tactics that would
>cause folks to buy a ton of hardware!! ...

Coming from a database support background and having gone through an ADSM
database recovery I definitely recommend mirroring, with the MIRRORRead/Write
Verify options activated.  An ADSM database recovery can take *days*, and such
an outage can be very disruptive.  As the person responsible for ADSM support
in a customer site, one would want to minimize the possibility of disruption,
and assure that any recovery would be as fast as possible.  Regardless of ADSM
stability, you are still dealing with a large number of variables which can
affect the integrity of your data (operating system, drivers, media, hardware
controllers, power, workmen in your computer room, misoperation, etc.).  You
can say that you haven't had any corruption, but the obligatory addendum to
that is "yet"...and if you haven't done a db audit, you can't even be sure
that you have no corruption.  If you haven't calculated the cost of protracted
downtime to your business, saying that you're saving money in the hardware
budget doesn't mean much.  Taking measures to insure integrity also means that
the ADSM support person can more confidently spend time away from work.  :-)
       Richard Sims, Boston University OIT