ADSM-L

Re: ADSM tape pool enters loop on tape write error

1998-01-05 12:55:59
Subject: Re: ADSM tape pool enters loop on tape write error
From: Rui Malheiro <rmalheiro AT MAIL.TELEPAC DOT PT>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 1998 17:55:59 GMT
Replying to: David Cannon <cannon AT US.IBM DOT COM> (Mon, 5 Jan 1998 12:16:46
-0500)
I *know* that there is a problem whith volume 1588U6. What I wasn't
I *know* that there is a problem whith volume 1588U6. What I wasn't
expecting was that ADSM would keep on trying to use a tape that it had
prevoiusly marked READONLY due to writing errors. I consider this behavior
quite unacceptable.

In this case, we had a nightly backup failure due to ADSM spending more than
4 hour trying to use a bad tape. I think it's a bit strange to have the
whole backup depending on a tape failure...

IMHO, ADSM should never release a bad tape to scratch without confirmation
from an operator.

--
Rui Malheiro,
Rui Malheiro,