ADSM-L

tcpip connection timeouts

2015-10-04 18:02:07
Subject: tcpip connection timeouts
From: INTERNET.OWNERAD at SNADGATE
To: Jerry Lawson at ASUPO
Date: 1/2/98 1:58PM
First, if you are running on TCP/IP 3.1 - all of the bugs I have seen at my
account have been on TCP/IP 3.2.  And they are not all fixed yet - I just saw
a repeat this morning.  The maintenance that supposedly fixed it caused more
problems.  If you can stay on 3.1 for a while longer, I would suggest it.

Now, if I remember the original problem statement correctly, you said that a
NetWare client was having trouble restoring lots of files, and that the
timeout was occurring after 120 seconds.  I would like to suggest that
*Perhaps* the problem is on the client end.  NetWare clients are not the
fastest things in the world - especially if the server is an older one, or if
your machine has a large number of files (100K+).  I  would suggest a couple
of things to check - first, I would recommend raising the timeout parameter
for clients (COMMTIMEOUT) to at least 300.  What may well be happening is
that the client is taking too long to respond and causing the timeout.  2
minutes may seem like an eternity, but if you server is on the slow side, or
if it is busy on its own, or network traffic is high, a longer timeout may be
of assistance.  Does it look (from the admin session window) that some
activity is taking place before the timeout occurs?  If so, this may well be
that problem.  Unfortunately, changing this parm will require restarting your
server.

Second, look at related NetWare parms.  The most obvious is
PROCESSORUTILIZATION - are you specifying this amount?  If not, I seem to
remember that the default is 1; that means that every 1/100 of a second, you
will give up control of the CPU to see if NetWare wants to do anything.  The
setting of this number is a balancing act, but I seem to remember that IBM
recommended 10 as a better number (1/10 of a second).  The number that you
specify is a NetWare timer unit - or 1/100 of a second.  I have a slow server
(a PS/2 mod 80 test machine) set at 5; I have a significantly faster Compaq
machine set at 25).  Be careful - this setting will effect everyone else on
the machine when ADSM is active.

Lastly, check to see that SLOWINCREMENTAL is set to NO.  I know the manual
says this is for incremental backup processing, but this might help restores
as well - I am not sure here.

Hope this helps.....

Jerry Lawson
jlawson AT thehartford DOT com

Author:  INTERNET.OWNERAD at SNADGATE
Date:    1/2/98 1:58 PM

someone mentioned a tcpip ptf that they applied that resolved
a problem with tcp/ip connection timeouts when performing
an adsm restore to a novell client.

 i have adsm version 2 on a netware client and version 2 on my
adsm mvs server. my mvs tcp/ip is 3.1 (about to go to 3.2, but
 not there yet). was this ptf for tcp/ip 3.1 or 3.2. if you know the
specific ptf number i would be grateful....