ADSM-L

Re: Moving the server, transparently

1997-12-30 09:54:41
Subject: Re: Moving the server, transparently
From: Jim Kleberg <jrkleberg AT STATESTREET DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 1997 09:54:41 -0500
     We have 2 TCP/IP stacks dedicated to ADSM on an MVS image accessed by
     open systems through a CISCO CIP ESCON connection.  We have backup
     CLAW statements in the router pointing to subchannel addresses on a
     backup MVS image.  If we move TCP/IP to the backup system, it retains
     its IP address.  We can therefore move all ADSM and appropriate TCP/IP
     address spaces to our backup image at a moment's notice without having
     to change DNS (and the inevitable servers who can't or don't speak
     DNS).

Author:  thompsod (thompsod AT USAA DOT COM)
Date:    12/30/97 9:14 AM

David,

 Somebody is selling you a bill of goods.  We have all of our clients point
to a specific MVS server by using a TCP/IP alias (or cname in DNS-speak). If
one of our MVS LPARs goes down we have the option of bringing the server up
on another LPAR and then have the DNS entries modified.  It works just fine.

Good luck,
Dan T.