ADSM-L

NT system drive recovery scenarios incl. NTRecover

1997-12-29 11:48:18
Subject: NT system drive recovery scenarios incl. NTRecover
From: Pete Tanenhaus <tanenhau AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 1997 11:48:18 -0500
---------------------- Forwarded by Pete Tanenhaus/San Jose/IBM on 12/29/97
9/97
11:24 AM ---------------------------

        ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
        12/26/97 05:52 AM
Please respond to ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU @ internet

To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU @ internet
cc:

>> 3) Install a temporary copy of NT on another partition:
>> I was able to recovery the C: drive using this method, and it took 45
>> minutes once I got the steps down and polished.  The Bare Metal Restore
>> redbook covers this in detail.   We are going to use this method since it
>> does not have any security concerns and is the fastest of the current 3
>> methods.

Another alternative which would probably speed up this process would to install
your
minimal copy of NT on an external SCSI device such as a ZIP drive.

You could then restore the boot partition files (boot.ini, ntldr, ntdetect.com,
possible
external scsi device driver) to a diskette with ADSM from another NT machine
(connecting
as the downed machines node), copy these files to the C: drive, boot the
temporary copy of
NT off of the external device, and then recover your system as you have already
described.

This would eliminate the need to have to install NT from scratch on another
partition.

Of course it would require an additional hardware expenditure but I believe
that currently
this is as close you can get to a true bare metal restore with ADSM.

Pete Tanenhaus
ADSM Client Development