ADSM-L

Cleaning up problems

1997-12-19 13:56:54
Subject: Cleaning up problems
From: Fred Johanson <fred AT MIDWAY.UCHICAGO DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 1997 13:56:54 -0500
I'm running v2 on a RISC-6000 with two 3590s in a 3494.  No problems in the
first year of operation until the week of Thanksgiving.  The weekend
before, the offsite backup of the storagepool for production servers was
interrupted for special processing.  By the time the process was restarted,
reclamation kicked off, and before it finished (with interruptions), the
cartridges were sent offsite (the schedule has since been modified).  That
Sunday night. the messages:

       ANR0874E Backup object ##### not found during inventory processing.
       ANR0865E Expiration processing failed - internal server error.
       ANR0860E Expiration process  terminated due to internal error.

made their first appearance in the activity log. I'm not sure there is a
direst relationship betweent the two , but I started to investigate.  By
the time the weekend arrived, I had identified the node and the filespace
that caused the error and tried to delete it.  That generated the message:

       ANR0858E Inventory object search failure.  DELETE FILESPACE aborted.

To add to my trouble, the day after Thanksgiving, the power supply on a
3590 failed taking the offsite backup and reclamtion with it.  The drive
was fixed by Monday, but the 3494 was acting flaky aboutit until this week
when it lost the drive altogether and had to be repaired.  Meanwhile,
cartridges are returned to the library, on schedule, but without going thru
reclamation.

So, now, everything is back on schedule, with all hardware working, except
Inventory Expiration still fails in the same place, and three cartridges,
which I can see in the silo are lost to ADSM.  All attempts to access them
result in the various messges that the cartridges are not in the library.

Two questions then for the world:
       1.  How do I fix the DB (which is about 1.5Gb) so that inventory
expiration can resume?
       2.  How can I make my missing cartridges availalbe again?

Any assistance will be appreciated.

P.S.:  I never saw an answer to the query earlier this month about MACRO files.