ADSM-L

Re: NT SQL Connect Agent

1997-12-11 16:44:38
Subject: Re: NT SQL Connect Agent
From: Del Hoobler <hoobler AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 1997 16:44:38 -0500
Phil,

The key here is that you have a separated transaction log.  When you do a
full backup with "truncate log after backup" on a database with a separated
transaction log, you essentially invalidate any "transaction log" backups
for that database until you do another full backup on that database.
This is documented in the Microsoft SQL Server documentation.
Sound confusing?  For more intimate detail, read the Microsoft SQL
Server Documentation, "Backup and Recovery Guidelines for
Microsoft SQL Server".   It explains the reasons for this which
I won't get into here.

When you tried the transaction log backup (the one that failed),
the agent output an error message indicating something like
" YOU MUST DO A FULL DATABASE DUMP FIRST".
This was the first hint that something was going on.
If you look at the SQL Error log, you will see that at the time of the full
backup
(with the truncate option), it warned you of this.

The key here is your backup strategy.  If you are backing up databases with
separated transaction logs and you want to use incrementals,
you must NOT use the "truncate log after backup" option on the full backup.
I hope this helps some.  If after reading this note and the Microsoft
documentation, you still think there is a problem, please call the
IBM support center.

Thanks.

Del Hoobler
ADSM Agent Development

>We are evaluating the ADSM SQL Connect Agent (V1.1) on NT.  This is being used
>in conjunction with ADSM V3.1.0.1 (client and server) on Windows NT V4 servers.

>We can backup and restore from full SQL database backups however, restoring
from
>the transaction logs appears to be problematic.

>The situation is thus:-

>I perform a full backup (with the "truncate log after backup" option selected).
>I then add a record to the backed up database and perform a transaction log
>backup (with the "do not truncate" option selected - this operation fails if
>this option is not selected).  Both these operations appear to work OK.

>In the restore window, the display is as follows:-

>testpubs                DB      12/11/1997              16:48:17
>   testpubs     LOG     12/11/1997              16:51:25

>To test the recovery, I drop the testpubs database from the SQL server and then
>proceed to recreate the database using the correct database/log device sizes as
>explained in the "ADSMConnect Agent for Microsoft SQL Server" documentation.

>Restoring the database from the full backup works fine, however whenever I
>attempt to then restore the transaction log (with the one additional record) I
>always get the following error:-

>Error: SQL Sevrer Errors encountered DB-LIB Message: Specified file
>'\\.\pipe\sqladsm\1997165720\2510' is out of sequence. Current time stamp is
Dec